Wednesday, January 2, 2008

The perfect mom

With the new year upon us, I find myself wanting to make resolutions. However common sense and history have slapped me around enough that I know that any resolution I make will end up being broken. Nonetheless, the desire to become something I am currently not is a bit overwhelming. For instance, with the temperature dropping below freezing for the first time this season, I realized that I needed to get Jack a new coat for winter. So after picking him up from school today we made what I hoped would be a quick stop at Kohl's. Last year this turned out to be the golden spot for finding coats so I had every reason to believe events would be repeated. No such luck. There was not a toddler sized boy coat in the entire store. As we trudged back to the car I had the nagging feeling that good moms had already purchased their children's coats months ago and that perfect moms had purchased their children's coats at the end of last season on clearance. As for me -- I waited until there were no coats to be found before thinking of the need at all. I wish I were the perfect mom, or at least the good mom. For now I will have to satisfied just being Mom and hope the boys won't remember my deficiences.

Now off to buy coats...

No comments: