I've hinted recently at the content of a new book I have been reading,
Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. It is about the masculine heart; written for men it focuses on reclaiming masculinity. I thought it might be helpful to read since really, let's be honest, I'm a newbie at this whole boy thing. Mr. Eldredge provides some intriquing insights into the male gender -- why they act they way they do, what they crave, etc. I don't agree with everything in the book -- like when he tells his son to punch the bully on the playground in the face. From this book I gleaned my new taggage for the boys -- my warriors. Man is made in God's image and God is a warrior -- the Israelites call him such in Exodus. As an overall review -- a good read; thought-provoking and Biblically based (for the most part) argument; enlightening for the female half of the population who just don't understand why little boys make guns and swords out of
everything and why grown men always seem to want to use the water hose; a bit repetitive -- often I felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again -- I blame this on his editor; a pick-me-up for the man who is caught between the lie the world tells of being the "nice guy" and the call of the Lord to be a champion of the Faith. I am interested in reading the sequel to the book,
The Way of the Wild Heart -- it is supposed to be a "map for raising boys through the six stages of the masculine journey." I'll let you know.
Next up...

I've started this one today -- I like the mini-Bible studies at the end of each chapter (about four questions, usually one or two include Scripture study) and I like the Family Focus ideas at the back -- they seem a little difficult for a non-reading kid but I'm going to work on trying to trim them down for Jack. I also like that the book focuses not just on child behavior but parental behavior as well.
Now that I'm not forced to read for work I am re-discovering my love for the written word. Know of anything good? Fiction, non-fiction, Bible study? Let me know!!!
1 comment:
Hi!
If you've never read it, Lies Women Believe and the Truth that Sets Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss is a great book!! :) I have others, just ask me sometime! :)
Post a Comment