Monday, December 15, 2008

Jack and his heart

Dear Friends,
What a day we've had in the Pearson household today; I wish I could say that with a smile on my exhausted face but rather I'm left with much uncertainty and a little fear as the sun sets. Would you pray for Jack and his heart? And pray for this mommy-heart as well? Here's the story of our day...

Friday morning, December 12, we made our way to the ENT for Jack's pre-op appointment for the tonsillectomy. At the appointment we learned that our ENT was concerned because he heard what sounded like a systemic reflux heart murmur. We agreed to schedule an appointment with the pediatrician to confirm the diagnosis. As of Friday afternoon the surgery was on-hold.

Early this Monday morning, December 15 we awoke and hurriedly dressed for an 8AM appointment. Here's where I must sheepishly raise my hand and admit to being the mom that, despite checking the weather Sunday afternoon, did not know it was going to be 48 degrees...and dressed my kids in shorts. I fully expected this morning's appointment to be routine; I expected to get the all clear from the pediatrician and for surgery to proceed as scheduled. Can I say that did not happen, not at all?!!??!! The pediatrican confirmed the presence of a murmur and sent us to Hermann for cardiology tests (chest x-ray and EKG). She also scheduled a consult with a pediatric cardiologist.

As of tonight we hang in limbo. We know nothing really. I was nosey enough to find that the EKG showed that Jack had a normal sinus rhythm. That's about all we know. Right now we have an appointment scheduled for February 12th with the pediatric cardiologist (the earliest available??!!!). The pediatrician should receive the results from today's test in office Tuesday. At that point she will make the decision about whether to push for an earlier appointment date or not and we'll know about restrictions on Jack's activities -- the general course of treatment for now. Jack's surgery is officially postponed indefinitely as he now must be cleared by the cardiologist before the ENT will proceed.

The waiting is...well to be quite frank it's terrifying. We rushed from what we thought was a routine appointment straight to the Medical Center for tests. Now that the rushing is over, sitting in silence is a bit difficult. Especially with phrases like, "it might be a small hole in the heart causing the murmur" dancing in your memory.

So I ask again, would you pray for Jack and his heart? Pray that God's hand would remain on him during this season and that he would be healed. Pray for a peace for all of us, that we would find rest and comfort in the quiet, that we would be able to be still and know that He is God, that we would cling to God's promise that He has a plan in all of this.

Thank you dear friends. I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are praying for sweet Jack and his sweet heart.

Amanda & Brian said...

He and the rest of you are in our prayers!!! I just have a gut feeling it will all be okay. God is good!

Aims said...

I think the Lord had revealed this little "glitch" right now so that it can be taken care of before he is older and playing sports where it could cause serious problems.

I am soooo sorry they are making you wait until February. That stinks!! We will be praying for you all. We will walk through this with you, girl!

The Lyons Family said...

Oh my gosh, honey! I'm so sorry to hear about all of this - I'm even sorrier it's taken me so long to catch up w/ the situation.

Jason and I will be lifting all of you up in prayer - that God will protect Jack's heart until an official diagnosis is made, that He will heal and restore, and that the Lord will be your comfort and peace through all of this!!!

Many hugs to you. Keep us posted and let us know how to pray. Love you, girl!!!

Misty said...

Love to all your fam and of course our prayers for a fast healing! We will definitely continue to pray.