Thursday, April 9, 2009

What's it gonna take?

Seriously, how much is too much for America to wake up and say, "enough!"?? At this point I should probably give a glimpse of the actual topic of this post...driving under the influence. I just read this article about MLB pitcher Nick Adenhart and three of his friends. I don't follow baseball unless it's Rangers T-ball so the fact that one of the victims was a star-athlete doesn't have much impact on my stance. Probably the only reason we are hearing about the crash on a nationwide circuit is because of the star-power associated.

In case you don't want to read the article, four people, including MLB pitcher Adenhart were broadsided last night by a man driving under the influence of alcohol. As if that's not bad enough, the same man was driving on a suspended license for a previous DUI. He fled the scene but fortunately was later arrested. So let's get this straight: one DUI = slap on the wrist; second DUI + suspended license = three dead kids and a hit-and-run situation.

So I ask again: what is it going to take to get American citizens to get fired up enough to demand harsher punishments for DUI? How many more of our families need to be buried before it becomes real enough for us to do something about it? It seems logical to me that had the original punishment been harsher maybe three kids would be alive and the fourth wouldn't be fighting for his life. If the punishment had been harsher maybe the offender wouldn't have decided again to get behind the wheel of a vehicle after drinking. Maybe.

2 comments:

Amanda & Brian said...

Even worse...apparently Adenhart was a rookie who had just made his first start this season. So sad!

The difficult thing is...when people who have a drinking problem has something like this happen it probably just leads them to drink more.

With all of the things I've read about drunk driving recently and after being in the car accident in January (not hit by a drunk driver though) it makes me nervous to go out on the road...especially with little Gabriel in tow now.

Aims said...

I couldn't agree more. Especially since my car was struck by someone under the influance a week ago. I am so thankful that everyone was safe, but all I could think about is what I would have done if the unthinkable had happened. How do you manage to forgive someone for taking your children or husband from you?? Only through God's grace.