Monday, February 1, 2010

Killing me softly

from 12/10/2009

Oh my little Sam man...it really does seem like sometimes he is trying to kill me. Our current dilemma -- potty training. I can't say loudly and strongly enough that I am NOT ready nor am I interested in venturing down this road with Sam yet. Like with Jack, this wonderful adventure isn't on my mommy-radar until Sam's 3rd birthday. Sam has other plans. Does he want to potty-train? Silly question -- of course not! But neither does he want to wear diapers -- ever. His preference? The large oak in the backyard. So our days are spent in a battle of wills -- me vs Sam, diapers vs naked tushie. Most days I win, most days.

I've tried it all -- rewarding going (he realized quickly if he held things he could go a little at a time and get LOTS of m&m's), allowing the outside trips (this resulted in a boycott of diapers that almost did me in), hoping he'd get uncomfortable in the mess (in case we're keeping score, no he didn't), singing potty dances (resulted in funny stares from all the kids) and promises that he would be a BIG boy (his response? "no! Sammy baby!" -- how very caveman-like of him). I've even tried ignoring the situation. Funny thing about that though -- just because you can't see what's going on around you because you've got your head buried like an ostrich in the sand doesn't mean the rest of the world is at a stand-still. Little boys make BIG messes -- even if you pretend like they won't!

I've tried singing potties and quiet potties, colorful potties and plain potties, big potties, little potties, NO POTTY, potty seats, potty chairs, Cars potties and Elmo potties. I can almost open my own potty museum.

And the result? Nada, nothing. Apparently I'm doomed to remain in this endless cycle for a little while longer. Sigh.

At least he's cute, right?!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OOOOO sooo very cute! - Grammy