Tuesday, June 22, 2010

From 4-5 to 5!

Can you believe that's where he started? Screaming and wiggling and only 4lbs 5oz? And now it's been 5 years. Wow...5 years. Jack entered our lives earlier than we anticipated and he hasn't stopped surprising us since. I distinctly remember sitting next to his isolette in the NICU and wondering what his little voice would sound like, what his face would look like once he grew into a toddler and had teeth, what he'd think was funny, and I remember, more than once saying to Luke "before we know it, he'll be in Kindergarten." And here it is -- in what seems like the blink of an eye, Jack is 5 and Kindergarten is rapidly approaching (less than 2 months!). I find my breath catching in my throat when I watch him, amazed at what he's able to do, humbled by the gift that he is to us. Talk about a cup running over!

It seems silly, now at 5, to list all the things Jack can do; to chronicle his likes and dislikes, his strengths and weaknesses. The list, exhaustive as it might be, would never encompass the person he's become. He is, afterall, a big kid now. Rather I thought I'd pen my favorite things about Jack.

I love his brown eyes that sparkle as if God sprinkled them with glitter.
I love the way he sucks his thumb when he thinks no one is looking. Still a little boy sometimes...
I love the way he loves people -- his brother and sister, his family, his friends, strangers he's never met
I love the way he plays the champion in every game. He's always the brave rescuer.
I love the way he talks -- so grown-up and beyond his years. My old soul...
I love the way he loves his God. Full and unashamed. His thirst for the Word humbles, convicts, makes proud this mama.
I love the way he always slides into home plate. Even if it's not necessary.
I love the way he encourages others -- high 5's to the other team, a pat on the back to Sam.
I love the way he approaches adventure -- with absolutely no fear or trepidation.
I love the way he takes care of people -- even at his own birthday party he made sure others had what they needed, and he always takes care of mama.
I love the way he practices karate and kung fu -- even if he's only seen it in movies.
I love the way he has more confidence in his little toe than most adults have in their entire being.
I love the way he asks "what do you prefer?"
I love the way he's Jack...

Happy 5th birthday my love!

UPDATED to add growth stats:
40 lbs
41.5" tall
no head measurements anymore!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man... I love that little big Jack! He is so precious and I can't wait to watch him grow right along side you and Luke. Y'all are doing so wonderful raising him up to be a little godly man. Love ya!

Amanda said...

So sweet! Happy Birthday, Jack! We miss that little guy!