It's been two weeks since we were placed with our newest little ones. I've been meaning to update this but I've been lost in a fog that is VBS. Fortunately for all my readers, Andrew doesn't believe in sleep and I've got so many VBS thoughts zooming around in my head that sleep alludes me. So here it is -- a 4am A-Team update!
Andrew is doing well. He's gained almost 2 pounds since we've had him and he's really starting to chunk up. This a really good thing -- the less fragile you are in this zoo, the better! He's not sleeping -- except during the middle of the day and then he's dead to the world. We're working on that. We're battling some eating issues because his mouth is just so stinkin' small. It's difficult to find a bottle that little that also lets milk out as fast as he'd like. We're on brand number 5 now. Other than that he's a happy little guy -- and boy do I mean little!
Andre is still in the NICU. He's having difficulty maintaining his oxygen saturation while eating. Luke visited Tuesday and reported there wasn't much change. Andre was still only allowed 4 bottle feeds/day and he was requiring oxygen during/after the feeds to boost his oxygen levels. This is a typical preemie thing and one we'll just have to wait out. Unfortunately there isn't a pill or a drug or anything that can remind a baby to breathe while he eats. We did this with Jack except Jack didn't have breathing issues -- he just couldn't remember to make his heart beat while he ate. Details, right?! I'm set to visit tonight so I'm hopeful that at least some progress has been made. Given the slow progress we've seen so far, though, Luke and I are inclined to guess Andre will be a due-dater. We don't expect him home before the end of June unless something dramatic happens.
I won't know anything about the case or the likelihood of permanency until our court date in early July.
That's about it! We're working on feeding and growing Andrew and wrapping our minds around taking care of two newborns!
No comments:
Post a Comment