Wednesday, November 7, 2012

My perspective on His glory

Told ya I was trying to get into a rhythm...

We sang it in church Sunday.  Take my life and let it be all for you and for your glory.  I've probably said those words hundreds, perhaps thousands, of times over the years.  Take my life and let it be yours.  On a practical level, it's the declaration we make when we surrender to the lordship of Christ.  But there's a chasm of difference between saying it and understanding it...at least for me.  I expected hardships, tough times.  I expected to weather storms and that those storms would be for His glory.  But what about when the storms cease? What about when the waves are calm but the trajectory of your journey isn't what you'd choose?  Then it isn't so easy to proclaim loudly that your life is all for the glory of someone else.

There are so many positive connotations with the word glory that it's difficult to imagine that the unpleasant would actually, could actually, bring glory to God.  And yet, somehow, it does. Not the unpleasant that is the wretched and awful...that's not what I mean.  The unpleasant that is just not what we wanted, not what we chose.  The thing I've come to realize over the past 2 years is that the point of everything, all of it, is for His glory.  The day-in-day-out occurrences that seem to me to carry so much weight are really nothing but ways to bring God glory.

Why did we adopt?  To bring God glory. Why aren't we moving? To bring God glory. Why do we make lunches for kids in another school? To bring God glory.  Why don't we participate in our homeschool coop? To bring God glory. Why did my daughter pitch a royal fit in the store? To bring God glory. Why did I wake up this morning? To bring God glory. The end of all of it is simply yet profoundly to bring God glory. Simple. Huge.

I'm sure this is an easy topic for most, but for me, I've found myself telling God "no this isn't bad, I just don't want it to be this way." And that's when the weight of what I say hits hard and heavy.  Take my life and let it be all for you and for your glory.  And yet it's so freeing...I don't have to worry about getting everything right. I just have one goal, to bring him glory.

Glory to God forever...

1 comment:

The Paradis Family said...

Thank you, I needed this today!