Monday, February 11, 2013

Facebook rulebook

Before beginning this post, I think I have to admit that writing it officially makes me old...as in yesterday's technology old.  Not in the "I'm a relic" way -- I'm only 31 after all (is that right? I can't even remember).  But in the "I'm an iPhone 4 in an iPhone 5 world." I always wondered when this would happen and how it would feel...

On to facebook...

I think I need a facebook rulebook.  I recently commented on a "friend's" status and immediately thought, "I wonder if I just interrupted that conversation." And right then I began to have a feeling that I'm breaking a whole mess of unspoken rules about to whom and when I should comment.  I have a mess of friends -- old and new -- that fill my newsfeed daily.  Some are funny, others...not so much.  All entertaining for my somewhat voyeuristic self.  I've recently decided that if a name is on my friend list then I'll consider him/her my friend, as in I'll actually say something if I have something to say.  Let the commenting commence to start.  Precisely because of my new personal commenting rules, I've discovered that not everyone shares those rules.   In fact, I'm beginning to think I'm in the minority if not solitary position here. I don't want this to read as a plea for more comments.  I personally don't really care if I get comments...if you feel like saying something then say it.  Some days my introverted self just doesn't want  to comment -- too much personal interaction.  Rather this is me wondering, "am I doing this wrong?".  Is there a right way (and conversely wrong way) to comment?  Are there circles on facebook?  Am I supposed to only comment on those in the inner sanctum and just creep on those outside it?

And here's where I think it may be an age thing.  If you are labeled "Friend" then I think that deems us entered into some sort of relationship.  And if we are entered into some sort of relationship then I think that there shouldn't be any rules to how and when I communicate via the medium of the relationship (in this case facebook). And if there are rules, then shouldn't we terminate the relationship?  I just keep thinking that if any of my "real life" friends and I had rules on communication it would be difficult for us to maintain our friendships. And maybe that's the kicker.  Maybe I've grown tired of using facebook to check up on people and see how far they've come.  Maybe I've come to a place in my life when I realize how difficult it is for all of us and I genuinely want to celebrate and grieve and have community with folks...no matter what we were like decades ago.

I'll end with this...another apology for this mess of words I'll call writing.  Seriously out of practice...

No comments: