Curriculum that is...
We've thrown out IEW's Primary Arts of Language Reading and Writing. I slogged through that for a semester with Jack before I threw it out. I thought surely starting with a kindergartner rather than a first grader would be better so I hauled it back out with Sam. 9 weeks in and I'm tossing it out again.
I sooo wanted this to work but after 9 weeks I can honestly say that it's not. Sam isn't learning phonics rules and truthfully I think his reading is suffering (he was progressing better before we started this); he seems stunted. So I'm chunking it out in favor of Explode the Code. Grace is using the preschool version and I've been very impressed with what she's been able to learn with just a little instruction every other day.
Not one to wait around once a decision has been made, I postponed the start of school today and drove to Mardel to buy the books. We started this morning; three pages in and I'm hooked. So much success so early!! Hoping this does the trick!
And yes...I know I only talk about homeschool. It's a safe topic around here while we still work through a lot of the mess the last 2.5 years made. I'll get deeper at some point!
No comments:
Post a Comment