Saturday, August 4, 2007

The waiting place

I admit it...I am a Dr. Seuss fan. I read his books to Jack, I have used them in my classes to teach everything from TAKS short-answer responses to creative detail in writing to parts of speech, rhyming and a host of other skills. One of my favorites surfaces annually in May; entitled Oh the Places You'll Go the story is an inspiring tale of what lies ahead at the cusp of a major life change. I regularly gift this to new grads -- its inspiration while simplistic is so very often appropriate. It is one of the few books, child's or otherwise, that gives me chills every time I read it.

But this blog is not a book review. I mention Dr. Seuss because in his book of Places there is made mention of the Waiting Place. Different from the doldrums, the Waiting Place is where folks just sit around and wait for things to happen. Dr. Seuss in his wisdom encourages the story's character to run from the Waiting Place -- to get out there and make things happen.

I seem to find myself in the Waiting Place. Unfortunately, it also seems that I am unable to force things to get out and happen. I am stuck in transition -- before it is really time to start getting ready for work, before we know whether to paint the nursery pink or blue, before I can really buy lots of new clothes for the bulbous shape I will surely take...before before before.

I desperately wish I could get out of the Waiting Place and make things happen...but for now I will be content to write as many details for school as I can in my planner and to search the internet for the perfect shade of blue and pink and scavenger clothing stores for future sales...and that will have to suffice...for now...until I am done waiting.

No comments: