Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Doctor, Doctor...

For those that know me well, it is no surprise that I have struggled with my health for basically my entire life; it began with the Crohn's diagnosis in junior high, the reappearance of a heart murmur that had been supposedly outgrown, then went to pre-eclampsia with Jack and the long-lasting ramifications of that ugly disease. I am once again struggling to control my body processes -- namely again my blood pressure. Having a striking genetic predisposition to the condition, I am ultra-conservative in my monitoring and treatment of it. Long story short after visits to two different doctors I have come to a rather sad conclusion. Modern society dictates that that we should all be doctors. In reality that it is what it seems my physicians expected of me -- for me to walk in and not only talk symptoms but offer treatment solutions as well, you know like in the commercials, "Ask your doctor if drug X is right for you." My response is how should I know? I went to school to become an English teacher -- and I was pretty good at that job. Luke went to school to become a chemical engineer and he is pretty good at his job. Doesn't it seem logical that the same should hold true for a doctor?

Another shocking revelation I had in this entire process was how obsessed we all are with appearance -- even those in the medical community. It's a rather obvious statement that plastic surgeons are obsessed with appearance -- it's what they do. But my general practitioner is an entirely different scenario. For some inexplicable reason I have been unable to lose the baby weight from Sam; moreover I have actually gained about 15 pounds since his birth despite a rather strict diet and exercise regimen (I am determined to get back in my pre-baby pants sooner rather than later). This was actually the impetus for my visit to Dr. N -- why can't I lose weight and why all of a sudden are my feet and hands swollen?? Her response: have you considered lap-band and an anti-depressant? Really??? That's where she went?!! I am not concerned with my lack of weight loss because of appearances. I know that weight is very closely linked with high blood pressure and I know that I am already at risk to develop the condition as I was medicating for it this time last year. My concern for the weight loss was so that I can be healthy and active for my children. But Dr. N seemed only to focus on the aesthetic aspect of my question.

The entire process has been extremely frustrating. As you can see, it's time to find another doctor for me. One who is a little more concerned with health and a little less concerned about her bank account.

No comments: