Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Won't you be my neighbor

The Scene: Our backyard around 6ish. Luke is grilling yummy jalapeno basil porkchops; Jack is playing pirate (HILARIOUS face that kiddo makes) and Sam is hanging with mommy on the patio. Luke and I are chatting nonchalantly about the height of the grass -- it's a little amazonian since we've been out of town.

Suddenly we hear "Knock Knock"

I look to Luke thinking it's a little girl here to sell us stuff. Before I can react our neighbor opens the gate and comes into the backyard. Ginger begins barking furiously

Me: WAIT WAIT WAIT, GINGER NO NO
Neighbor: It's okay he knows me (I think to myself "you don't know HER obviously)
Luke: yeah but she gets a little territorial about the backyard
Neighbor: I have a question for you. Did you turn on our sprinkler today?
Me: no...???
Neighbor: because we are sure it was off when we left earlier today
Me: I noticed it was on for a long time...when I got home from lunch at noon it was on and then still on when we returned from swim lessons at 3.
Neighbor: yeah we turned it on to fix the brown spot we have but we know we turned it off. weird. are you sure you didn't turn it on?
Me: yeah...we didn't do it. that is weird.

on and on this goes for about ten minutes. then neighbor leaves convinced that either we didn't turn on the sprinkler for her or that we are lying, luke and I aren't sure which.

I should clarify -- this isn't a sprinkler that you buy at wal-mart and attach to a hose. This was their in-ground sprinkler system. So we have to ask: does this happen often -- neighbors turning on one another's sprinkler systems?

1 comment:

The Lyons Family said...

Oh, come on Valerie - You've always had a thing for sprinkler systems, especially ones that don't belong to you! :) Feel free to come over and turn mine on ANY TIME...my grass is dying!!! What a weird encounter. Watch out - they may come over and water your plants to get even! hahaha PS - I'm gonna miss you, too!