Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Back to school, back to school...

Today was Jack's first day of preschool. In typical Jack fashion he awoke bright and early around 7am (a good hour before I was planning on waking him) and presented me in a most lion-king way his teddy bear for teddy bear day. He then proceeded to tell me he was "ready for school time please." He gobbled his breakfast and dressed at a breakneck pace leaving us with LOTS of time to sit around and wait.

At 840 I could hold him off no longer so we loaded the car, stopping of course for the requisite picture time outside and headed off for school. On the way in to the school Jack insisted carrying EVERYTHING himself. His nap mat is supposed to be "compact" per school request -- his is...well...not. So he has a loaded backpack, his teddy bear, his nap mat and a box of kleenex all the while attempting to cross the parking lot. Needless to say I made him stop so I could help. The only word to describe his entrance to the classroom is to say that he strutted in like he was big man on campus. While all the other kids clung to mothers, mine sat down at the table and opened a puzzle to begin his "lots of school work" (his words to me). No tears, no fear, barely even a bye mom. That was it...

I tried to attend parent orientation but Sam was having none of it. He screamed the entire time so we left about 15 minutes into the 45 minute presentation. I think he sensed he was alone with mom -- that and he was practicing his new skill of fit-pitching.

My baby is a big boy. I told Luke last night that I was more nervous than Jack was -- and that kindergarten is going to require medication for me.

A prayer for my son as he begins a new phase in his life...
Lord, I pray that Jack will grow as Jesus did, "in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men" (Luke 2:52). Thank you for crafting him with numerous gifts, talents and abilities; help him to develop these gifts and guide him in the use of them for Your Kingdom. Lord, may Jack "grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" (2 Peter 3:18).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Jack is so big! What a handsome little man.