Friday, November 14, 2008

Mayonnaise from Heaven

Children's versions of Bible stories are always the best, and I'm not referring to the stories in children's Bibles but rather the stories from the very mouths of the littlest ones. It is such a blessing to see in action the faith of the child and I find these stories at times just as challenging as the sermons I hear. Jack came home yesterday talking about Moses and his bread with worms -- it figures the part he remembers best is the worms, that's a boy for you! After he told us the story I asked him if he knew what the bread from heaven was called and he said, "It was mayonnaise from Heaven." Despite our attempts at correction he was sure that he in fact knew better than his parents. While a humorous episode in our house Luke and I exchanged glances knowing the spiritual growth we were watching; tiny sprouts of faith were poking their heads through the soil of Jack's heart because a teacher took the time to plant the seeds with stories of Moses and the "mayonnaise from Heaven."
Thank you God for your ways that are higher than ours, for your thoughts that are greater. Teach us to cultivate this faith, to water it and nourish it and tend to it as it grows that it might become an oak of righteousness.

No comments: