**Penned in pre-dawn hours. Too awake -- from spirit unrest and ill-advised late night coffee -- to find slumber. Edited in daylight when shadows disappear and all is just a bit clearer than before.**
If I wrote a book it would be about my boys. Every good writer knows that to be truly successful you must write about the things with which you have the most intimate knowledge. And what do I know best? The people I spend 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with -- my boys.
If I wrote a book I think I would title it Two-stepping with Tornadoes. It has an obvious "Texas" tone but again, that's all I've ever known. I was born less than 75 miles from where I currently live and have only ventured about 250 miles away from that point ever in my existence. Lame, some may cry; me, I find comfort in the familiar. Do I dream of venturing to far-off places to experience "different"? Sure but I'm just as happy, just as comfortable, just as starry-eyed dreamt here. I also know that hurricane would be a more accurate weather pattern for the title given where I live but I like the "t" alliteration of tornado and after all it's my book.
If I wrote a book I think it would be like my memories -- snapshots of wonderful, of sad, of anxiety and of peace, with no real transitions. Small snips taken from the fabric of my life that is being woven with each passing second. Or perhaps it would be like a series of dances, each different and wonderful in it's own right. Some so fast and exciting that you can feel the wind whip across your face with every turn on the dance floor. Some so slow that you are able to remember each step, each breath, each glance. Others friendly and light-hearted, allowing only memories of the fun but not the steps that made it a dance; and still others somber, a dance in mourning, or fear where all that can be remembered is the partner, the rock on which you lean.
If I wrote a book I wonder if I would ever actually finish it. And if it was finished, I wonder if anyone would read it. And if people read it, I wonder if anyone would like it. And if no one liked it or if everyone loved it, I wonder if that would matter.
2 comments:
WRITE A BOOK! I would read it and suggest it to everyone I know. DO IT! I think you would be very successful. I am excited you are even considering it!
Love the title!!
Post a Comment