Monday, January 5, 2009

Rockettes

I'm just now emerging from three days in the world of wardrobe. I have been schlepping costumes for the Rockettes during the Radio City Christmas Spectacular Arena Tour. Wow -- that was a mouthful. Boy did I learn some stuff...and I saw even more but that is TMI.

Some things I learned:
1. To be a rockette not only do you have to dance like an all-star but you have to be between 5'6" and 5'9". They put the tallest girls in the middle and with the three inch height difference they all look about the same height.
2. weird people work in theater careers. not the girls but all the folks behind the scenes...wow! Also -- there is a surprising lack of dental healthcare in that profession.
3. According to one wardrobe girl I was with, tattoos on your boobs is trashy. Scrawl pictures of skulls all over your biceps and forearms though and you are in the clear. Good to know in my opinion
4. From the same girl, there is a sex shop in Montrose that sells leg lamps (I guess like from Christmas Story -- I was too afraid to ask) for $200. It is right next to catbirds or something -- in case you are in the market for a good leg lamp.

Believe me there is more...so much more. But I have standards y'all -- that stuff just isn't appropriate for a published venue.

In all seriousness, the Rockettes I worked with were awesome girls. We had a lot of fun and it was actually a privilege to work with them on the last stop of their 4 month long tour.

No comments: