Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A few things I know

There are a few things I know for certain; most are contained within the 66 books of Inspired Word. The others, like no one should plant silk flowers in the front yard -- they are NOT a replacement for real flowers -- while not in the Book, perhaps may have merit if I look hard enough. I digress...

Some things I know: My God loves me with a love that is so unique that it is unreproducible. Loves me enough to call me child, loves me enough to sacrifice his Child -- a part of himself -- so that our child/parent relationship would be made righteous -- having the quality/characteristic of right. Don't we all desire to have the quality, the characteristic of Right? And really isn't that only accomplished when our relationship with Him is in tact?

My God says what he means and means what he says. Telling us to be patient in affliction, to be anxious in nothing, to present everything to Him -- that's a tall order. But let's consider this -- how many products, how many strategies, how many self-help books/programs/vitamins exist to quell that feeling of anxiety? And how quickly does that anxiety fade when we, in everything present our requests? Not in laundry list of "I wants" but in prostrate, broken and humble fashion, how quickly does that peace that passes understanding find us? Just one example made clear in recent days to me...

And for now, the last thing I know is that the previous things I know are a good thing. Because I also know that I am a mess, like the underside of a tapestry that isn't quite finished. I know that any particular day the story of my life reads as confusing as a novel that begins in medias res. I know that many days I choose to save face rather than obey commandments, that much like a child, I stick out small hand to touch just one more time that which I've been warned to avoid. I know that when I lose focus, even briefly, I lose balance and lessons learned become distant and I find myself struggling, in vain, to right it all. But because of the other things I know I can say with certainty that I must truly be a new creation, no longer Valerie but Christ in Valerie's skin. Good thing...

Oh and one more thing -- little boys are magnetized to attract dirt -- while not scientific fact, the sleeping mudballs resting upstairs right now sure make a convincing case.

2 comments:

The Lyons Family said...

What a convicting post! I am SO guilty...of planting silk flowers in my flower beds!!! hahahahaha

I promise I haven't done it in several years, but gosh darnit I wanted flowers in my yard and I don't have a green ANYTHING on my body! Shoot, I kill GRASS! :)

No passing judgement on my confession, Valerie Pearson! "There is, therefore, now no condemnation..." :)

Unknown said...

oh me too!! our yard is what I like to call "dead chic"