Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Gracie wins!!

I posted a status update on Grace about a week ago only to remove it less than 6 hours after it's penning. Why? I didn't like what I wrote -- it sounded...dumb. Turned out to be a good decision because like all things in my life the status changed the very next day. BUT after meeting with my doctor today I'm confident in relating some of the latest news.

First -- as of 9:19pm today Grace will officially win the longest gestated baby for the Pearson house! Good job little girl! Way to hang in there!

I am seeing my OB weekly now and we are having weekly biophysical profiles of the Little Miss. Last week the official weight was 5.5lbs. We didn't measure exact weight this week but there's a good chance Grace is 6 lbs today. She seems to be loving life and enjoying her swimming pool. She did finally turn head down and seems to be happy to remain that way -- either that or she ran out of room to make the large movements necessary for a flip. Last week my OB started me on blood pressure medication. There doesn't seem to be an indication that things will turn to pre-eclampsia so we are calling it gestational hypertension. The meds are working...sort of. We are working to find a balance in dosing. My body responds VERY WELL to the meds -- sometimes too well making my pressures go too low. Dr. M remarked today that the meds I'm on don't usually result in this type of control. I'm still not making many treks out and about and I'm nowhere near going back to things as usual -- gotta make sure the bp stays in control.

Here is the big news from today -- Dr. M and I set a date for Grace's arrival. Unless she decides to come on her own, Grace will get an eviction notice on Thursday, November 12th. That is one day shy of 38 weeks!! Things are seeming to move toward baby day on their own -- contractions (mild) and such are beginning but I know these could last for weeks. Dr. M will be out of town next week and the beginning of the following week but she did mention that if her associate is comfortable with it, we could strip my membranes next week. If not, we can definitely strip membranes the following week. I'm hoping that will help things along naturally without induction medication. All this means for me...I was hoping for a sooner date BUT I know that liability issues are present when voluntarily inducing before full-term. I gathered from comments made by Dr. M that she isn't sold on the fact that I will go that far. Bottom line -- we'll have to wait and see.

That's about it! Yea for Grace!!

5 comments:

Grandma Pearson said...

What a girl! (both mom and baby!)

Aims said...

Way to go sweet Baby Grace!!! We love you already!!

Misty said...

:) 11/12???? Doubt it! I can't wait to meet her. Stripping my membranes (without my knowledge), just made me contract all day (well, mostly just cramp) and did nothing! But it works for some.

Amanda & Brian said...

Glad she's hanging in there and turned herself. Also glad to hear you're feeling a bit better. Don't be worried about induction. Mine went very smoothly and I wouldn't have changed it for a second. :) If you're already progressing on your own it should be easy going...it's hard on those who aren't progressing on their own.

I've heard that stripping membranes isn't very helpful. I've never had a friend that it helped move along, and they said it was painful. But, I dunno. Whatever works right? :)

Unknown said...

yeah...I have my doubts about the 12th too. @ Misty -- I thought about you when she mentioned stripping membranes. Hope it works better for me than you!!

We are going to try just about everything we can to see if my body will do things on its own. If not -- I've had two other inductions that while early had decent-sized babies (well, Sam anyway) so I'm not worried. I'd just like to give my body a shot at doing things on its own since it seems to be heading in that direction anyway. I just don't have a the time luxury -- she will absolutely NOT let me go beyond 38 weeks.