It's been quite a week for our family! The best description is that it feels like I was about to get hit by a truck but managed to step out of the way just in time. Still a little shocked at what the outcome could have been but so eternally thankful that God had other plans.
Wednesday morning I went into my OB's office for a regular visit -- knowing it wouldn't be a regular visit. I had been struggling with high blood pressures and headaches and knew that my kidneys weren't functioning up to par. I walked into the office in tears because I felt so badly. After a poor result on my protein test and a poor BP reading it was quickly decided that I should head to the hospital. We checked into Memorial Hermann downtown shortly after lunch, me feeling worse with each passing moment. Doctors checked me and Grace, determined that she was breech and that there was a possibility I would deliver that day -- no more food or drink for Val as a c-section was in the future. By dinner the doctors decided to wait until 9pm to make a decision (to allow 6 hours for the steroids for Grace to work) but told me not to be surprised if they woke me in the middle of the night to deliver. In their words, "there is no doubt you are pre-eclamptic."
Up to this point the progression of the evening was something with which we are VERY familiar. However, about 11pm I began having contractions. Because I received epidurals so early into labor with the boys it took a few contractions for me to realize what was going on. After two hours of contractions coming about 2 minutes apart it looked as if Grace was deciding to come on her own. Of course as soon as we thought a decision had been made the contractions stopped. I was told to rest and drink fluid. About 2am contractions began again and I was back on no-food or drink. I contracted until about 4 and once again doctors began making noises about immediate delivery. But once again the contractions stopped and plans changed again.
About 6am the doctors decided that they were not willing to stop labor if it was coming but they were also not prepared to help it along at that point. It was decided that we would wait for more tests results. At that point my blood pressure had been GREAT but I still had a terrible headache. By 4pm, Thursday it was appearing that the decision would be NOT to induce but not to let me go home. The tests seemed to indicate that while I had been getting sick when I checked in, at this point I was now getting better. BUT it was the doctors opinions that I would in fact get sick sooner rather than later...they were hoping to get me to last a few more days.
My final test results came back around 7pm -- my protein levels for the 24 hour period were PERFECT. Last week I tested at a level of 277 (300 is abnormal/BAD), in the hospital I tested 102. About 9pm the doctors returned to tell me to GO HOME: my labs were good, my headache improved (didn't disappear but was manageable) and my blood pressures were the best they've been since I got pregnant. This time doctors words were "you are NOT pre-eclamptic." I practically RAN out the door.
Truthfully there is no other explanation for the 180 degree turn-around other than a miracle of God. While improvement was a possibility, the complete disappearance of all symptoms shouldn't have happened. But it did...and here we sit -- at home, with Grace safely tucked away in mommy's tummy where she belongs for the next few weeks.
So where do we go from here? Good question. Luke and I both realize the bullet we dodged so to speak so we are natually cautious. While I was not told I was on bedrest Luke and I have decided that a modified bedrest approach is a good idea. So I'm homebound until Grace's arrival. I ran a few quick errands today but they only lasted about 30 minutes. Luke will take over the major errands (groceries and such). My sister, Kristen, will join us on non-school days to help me corral to wild little boys. On Jack's school days I should be able to handle Sam on my own. Luke and I have agreed that the non-essential household chores will be left undone for the time being. I'll do a little here and there but my main goal will be to take it easy and stay pregnant. I won't be going anywhere really -- including church -- for a while. I see my doctor Wednesday of this next week so we see if she has a different idea. I'm still taking my blood pressures at home to watch things. The doctor mentioned that we were hoping to make it to 36 or 37 weeks. My guess is with the recent hospital time we will probably stop at 36 weeks which puts Grace's arrival sometime around Halloween. Again...I'll have to ask my OB when I see her.
Right now I'm excited to still feel Grace kick instead of sitting beside a NICU isolette.
Here's praying for a very UNEVENTFUL four weeks!!
6 comments:
Although I'll be sad you aren't at church, I will come visit often (as long as we are well!) :). I'm SO HAPPY and completely agree that this is all God! Yea baby Grace, stay in there a little longer!
YAY!!! So glad you are home. I already miss seeing ya. I'll have to arrange a visit. We are still praying. Titus has said some of the sweetest prayers for you and baby Grace. He was THRILLED to learn that you were both better. Apparently now he has prayer "super-powers" since God answered HIS prayer. Now he knows that God does answer prayer, we just have to work on the pride issue now :)
Love ya guys
I just read your other site, you know my vote, do the cheap thing :)
Rise and Shine and give God the Glory, Glory; Rise and Shine and give God the Glory, Glory; RISE AND SHINE AND GIVE GOD THE GLORY GLORY, CHILDREN OF THE LORD! :) WHOOP! What a wonderful testimony! We heard at church today, that without tests, we have no testimonies. BOY, do we have some. And what a fabulous example to young and old alike, that Jesus is faithful to answer our prayers! There is POWER in His Name! - Love Mom
ALL ABOUT FREE THINGS!!!
PS: It's Kris... I forgot to say it's me...
And mom is right. Awesome testimony this morning about tests. I thought wow do we have a testimony.
Post a Comment