Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A little venting about our medical team

I heard from Sam's rheumatologist today. Well, actually I heard from her nurse practitioner.  She passed us along to him after the first visit.  No diagnosis but not sick enough to warrant her time?  I don't know the reason for sure so I shouldn't speculate but it's hard not to think that might be the reason.

We just repeated bloodwork (for the 3rd time in 4 months) and a bone scan; all to re-check for malignancy (doctor speak for cancer).  I've mentioned before how tired I am of hearing the word "cancer" in Sam's medical visits.  We've checked for malignancy before and everything came back clean.  I guess because we have since ruled out arthritis we are returning to other possibilities to make sure nothing was missed.

Anyway, all the re-checks came back normal.  Now we are expected to re-do an MRI (pelvis and spine) to check for lesions and possible malignancy.  The best part of this is when the original MRI was done, a lesion was seen and deemed an undefined contusion, probably a bruise.  Now, that lesion is cause to re-scan.  I'm struggling to logic that one out.

We've also been referred to a neurologist to investigate possible nerve issues.  If the neurologist comes up empty, then it's on to a musculo-skeletal specialist and a urologist (an urologist? unsure of the proper article there...) to search for more, rare possibilities.

Here's where things begin to stick me a bit.  We are re-scanning for cancer -- kind of a big deal.  But since the newest round of testing was normal, and the upcoming scans are presumed to be normal (but still necessary?) we don't need to be seen by the rheumatologist until November.

So let's get that straight.  Son has been in pain for 15 months; we have no diagnosis; search for diagnosis leads to potential cancer diagnosis; quickly perform scans; no cancer found but kid still in pain; we don't need to see the doctor for 2-3 months despite not having a diagnosis.

Urrgggghhhh

I don't mean to complain.  I just need a place to purge all the things that rumble around in my brain. I'm grateful for the doctors; I'm grateful for the no-cancer diagnosis; I'm grateful that despite being in pain, my son is really healthy.  I'm just ready for some answers.

No comments: