Thursday, August 22, 2013

Random Thoughts -- Cooking fail

I like to cook and bake and do all things kitchen-y and I'm pretty good at it.  But every cook has an occasional mess up, a flub, a flop, a big ole ugly FAIL.  There are few things in life that make me as frustrated as a cooking fail.  Luke doesn't get it. I think to his science-bent brain even failures are an experiment from which to learn.  To me, it's just a fail.  And I hate to fail, avoiding it if all possible.  Neurotic much?

This week has seen two fails and I'm about ready to hang up my proverbial apron (not real because that would mean I'm a clean cook and nothing could be further from the truth).  Monday saw the dinner hour arrive with the chicken breasts still solidly frozen in the sink, despite being thawed all.day.long. (Just remembered to check the settings on the freezer, might be set a bit low...)  So we ate out and I sulked over my can't-remember-what-we-ate dinner.  Wednesday I tried a new recipe from Pinterest (failproof right?!?! wonk).  My pizza rolls turned into pizza scented hockey pucks. Knowing I make rockin' good cinnamon rolls, the fact that the pizza rolls failed just about ruined my night.  I soothed myself with some brownies...I won't mention how many.

I tried to explain my issues with kitchen failures to Luke.  Tried to compare it to him failing at his job.  He's sweet and reminded me that cooking gourmet food (ha! as if) is not actually my job, that it's much bigger than that.  It didn't do much to salve my wounds.

Now I'm gun shy about trying anything new again.  My goal tonight?  Get the spaghetti on the table. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.

Anyone else struggle with this?


1 comment:

A said...

Of course. In so many ways. All of the time. We like to do things we're good at, depend on them to validate us at times (for me- most of the time), and have our egos crushed and controlling tendencies frustrated. Perfectionism is a frustrating and limiting place to live even if it's only concerning certain areas.