Friday, January 7, 2011

Our new favorite snack

Snack time: it's evil, at least around our house. Daily my lovely and messy offspring and I lock in a battle of wills. They want bowls-full and hands-full of animal crackers, goldfish and the like. I want them to snack on yummy good-for-them apples (I even bribe with caramel dip), carrots (with a smidgen of ranch or hummus), yogurt or cheese sticks. And we stand at an impasse. Yes I could just not buy the other things -- but seriously, have you met me? And no those things aren't that bad, but considering my kids other nutritional choices I like to get bang for my buck whenever I can. All this means I'm ever searching for the perfect snack -- one that's healthy and nutritionally positive that also won't my kids gag (have you ever watched one of them try to swallow broccoli??).

Recently this search has pushed me into the organic side of food. I'm jumping on that bandwagon a bit late, I know.

As a side note: I'm still not "into" organic. I have reasons why I purchase organic and reasons why I really dislike the entire label but those are sure to start a firestorm of debate that I frankly don't care to engage in, so I'll leave them out of this particular post.

In venturing to the organic side of things, I happened to stumble on the latest Pearson snack craze. Grammy Sammys and Jammy Sammys. These little gems are perfect snack-sized goodness -- full of whole grains and organic, good-for-you yogurt or fruit spread. I originally found these at Hubbell and Hudson (my fave market...ever) in The Woodlands but I've since found them at my local Babies R Us. Made by Revolution Foods, these snacky-delights, at $3.29 for a 5-pack, are a bit more expensive than a traditional snack. But again -- I'm after a nutritional bang for my buck and these definitely meet that need. In a long line of tried-and-failed nutritious snacks, my Sammy friends are here to stay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEB has them also - i think a bit cheaper too.

Mindy said...

I saw these at HEB on Highland Knolls too. Over in the baby section. Don't remember the price...